Monday, March 2, 2009

So with the great cleaning of the house after the mouse kill we thought we had beaten all infestation. Alas the next night we killed 12 cockroaches. With frying pans and Raid. In the dark. Because the electric was out. Again.

Thankfully, the week got much better and tres busy. I had no homework but still have no idea where the time goes. Next fall will be a rude awakening I suppose. Thursday after French Kaitlin and I had a lunch date at the Senegalese restaurant some of us found. I had the best coffee there with my eggs and spaghetti which I need to figure out how to make. It sounds gross but it is seriously delicious. In the afternoon I went with Soo, Katelynn and Terence to Marche Mokolo. The area is huge. It winds down several streets and you think it is only the stuff by the road but it goes back about two city blocks every way! Anything you could ever need or want can be found in this country. Cheap too. We actually found nail clippers Terence needed for about 25 cents. That's the great thing about markets. You can haggle prices. We probably still end up paying a little more because we are white, but in retrospect my shoes I found cost me about $6, four bracelets for less than $1, and a dress about $4. So I guess if anyone desperately needs something for less than in the U.S. let me know!

However, at the same time markets are overwhelming especially if you do not go with a Cameroonian friend. Katelynn had been before so I was pretty comfortable following her around. Besides I can pretty much tune people out any day. I have gotten especially good at not looking when they make their kissy sounds. It's basically the sound I make to call my cat inside. This sound doesn't mean they like you but that they want to get your attention. They use it with each other as well. Very bizarre. Some vendors actually followed us for a good ten minutes through the market still not willing to give up their high price. The only thing I really have a problem with is when they grab and pull you to come look at their stuff or try and talk to you. It sounds rude but I shove them off. But it's what you have to do to get them to not bother you.

Friday I don't have class after French so I went to Pizza Roma in Bastos with Alie, Gina and Ben for a taste of home. Then Ben and I spent the afternoon wandering around a lot of the center city getting ice cream, and looking at vendors, before we found the artisan market where I got a few small souvenirs. We also found some really nice rastas haha. I've decided Ben is my new shopping partner. We think it works quite well because he loves to haggle and I love to shop. Thanks to him I got several thousand francs off every purchase.

Saturday Mr. Teku took us out for lunch. I tried taro for the first time with a side of khati khati/jama jama. I took a picture to help describe it when I get back. I'm not even going to attempt it right now. Three of us then went to the park to play frisbee. Cecilia then came with her two host sisters and we played hide and seek and cops and robbers with them. Dance class that night kicked my butt. I'm still sore. Half then went to a jazz festival and us others went for a really late dinner and talked for a long time on the balcony. My kind of night.

Otherwise, not much else is new except my body, according to the doctor, does not like climate change, hence I am on three different medications. Except apparently I'm allergic to the one so I must go call to change my prescription. What fun. Oh and we just met this crazy lady named Vivienne on the street who took us out for a drink and is going to have us over for a barbeque. I love Cameroon. Plus I picked up my dresses and two packages today! Life can't get much better sometimes. TIA.

Morgan

1 comment:

  1. oh morgan, what a life you are living! keep living it up sister friend! i wanted you to know that I am also taking traditional dances of chile, so we can dance together when we come back to school. hope you don't have any more cockroaches in the house!! why r u on so much medication? tummy problems? k.. love you! bye :)

    ReplyDelete