Thursday, March 12, 2009

So it has been quite awhile since my last update but really I have just been waiting for something new to talk about since last week I spent the majority of my time memorizing my bedroom walls as I combatted a delirious fever. Ben ended up getting sick for a few days starting Tuesday night and I remember thinking how lucky I was that I had not fallen ill the whole two months I've been here. I guess I forgot to knock on wood since Wednesday night it became my turn. I thought I was just battling an infection from my stupidity of slicing my finger in a rotating fan, but it turned out not to be the case. I've never had a 48 hour over 100 degree fever before. I hope to never repeat the experience to be perfectly honest. Especially since you have to go to the hospital to see the doctor, and then you have to travel to a different place for lab work and then finally to a pharmacy to pick up prescriptions. Friday morning I was ready to pass out after all that. Actually I did.

Oh well. By Friday night I was definitely feeling a lot better. Saturday, I read a new book and went with the others to dance class to sit and watch. Then we went out for chicken and one of our university friends Kisatore, who we hadn't seen in a long while came to hang out with us. A few then met up with some of the dance people for some activity while the others of us hopped to another bar. I came back around midnight since my stomach felt iffy again, but told Kisatore I'd wait up to say goodnight when they all came back. That will be another blog post soon: Cameroonian Men. Get excited. Everyone went to bed but Harry joined me on the balcony to listen to some music and we fell asleep talking it was so pleasant outside. Funny thing was I didn't receive one mosquito bite, but then somehow on Sunday ended up with 10 from just sitting outside somewhere. My legs look like a battlefield of scars from bites.

Sunday was Women's Day. It's an international holiday apparently but the U.S. just doesn't celebrate it. The women get a specific fabric to make dresses out of and this year the color choices were blue, green, and pink. I chose blue of course. All us girls got dresses made and went to the center of town to watch the women march and have ice cream from Selecte Plus. It's very similar to Youth Day. Since it was our two month anniversary we met Mr. Teku and the boys for a buffet lunch. The food was really good and I wish I had been hungrier. I came back with three of the girls then while the others went to a bar-be-que of some sort. I promptly dozed off on the couch and woke to finish an essay. Not a bad day overall.

Anyway, french classes are finally over so my schedule has lightened considerably. Actually, I'm at a loss with what to do with myself. I'm used to running around everywhere. Monday I have Contemporary Cameroon from 2-4 or later if we have a field trip, Tuesday I have my environmental class 9-11 except he is now gone to Dickinson for a month so I have Tuesdays free right now, Wednesday I have African Philosophy from 8-10 and I think we're switching my gender class to 1-3. Which means we all have 4 day weekends all the time. I'll take it.

In the works for the weekend are running tomorrow morning, tanning :), maybe shopping on Saturday and then dance class, and swimming on Sunday. I'm also excited about maybe taking a contemporary dance class in the afternoon sometimes. The "Chieftan" (our nickname for the dance leader) was telling me about them because he said he could tell I've danced before so maybe I'll try soon!

Tonight we are going to attempt to make lasagna which I'm tres excited about. Tuesday we tried to make pesto by hand. Honestly, it wasn't bad! Actually, we just made rice krispies! And I had the idea to create trail mix yesterday with popcorn, plaintain chips, pretzels, and chocolate. It was such a great snack, all coming from foods we bought on our street, and a big pot for the grand total of $1. I'll try and update again before we leave for our next trip to Bamenda on Thursday morning. Take care everyone!

3 comments:

  1. hi love, do you have pictures of your dresses from women's day? i would love to see them! thanks for your blog comment! i look forward to hearing your voice someday, somehow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you tried to make pesto and you ended up with rice krispie treats? nice morgan. and glad you're feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope you're feeling better lovely. i'm sorry its been a year since we've talked. i'm failing at everything. i will write you an email right now. love love love from Carlisle.

    ReplyDelete