I think I've hit the honeymoon stage of culture shock rather late in the game. Since the middle of last week I've felt rather happy go lucky at every twist and turn. I was even perfectly content to sit outside after class on Monday washing my clothes and listening to my iPod. All in all this week has been rather entertaining despite its domestic moments.
Monday after French, Katelynn and I met Theodore, the assistant to our internship lady, at the Oilibya station. We then started our search for stores that sell condoms to tell during our presentation next week. I secretly wondered what these people thought to themselves when we trooped in, this thirty year old African with two young white girls asking if they have condoms. On the other hand, I don't wish to know. We then met up with leaders of the health club at this particular school to split into two groups and search other places. This one boy and I franglaised quite nicely. He attempted to ask questions in English and I felt compelled to answer in halting French. Why I don't know, but I figured if he could try so could I. At this certain point to I want to mention how well Africans age. I can never tell how old a person is here. This particular boy I guessed to be 15. He pointed out he was 19. Oops. Another prime example is Mama Solange. The first time I met her I pegged her to be about 35. Turns out she's 48. I figure if I can figure out how to age that gracefully the rest of life will be just grand.
We met back up with the group for class about 2 where we just discussed issues of culture shock we've written about in our journals. If only classes were conducted like that at Dickinson I'd be all set. But the big news of the day came at dinner when I voluntarily gutted my first fish. I even pulled the gills out by hand which Ben said he's never done. Freddie the Fish and I came to an agreement that because I put aside squeamish thoughts to remove his insides he should be mine for dinner. Normally, I don't like to know my food on a personal level but I made the exception when Freddie turned out to be quite tasty.
Today was actually great fun. We only had about 30 minutes of French. Professor Wabo even gave everyone a chocolate bar. In my opinion any day that starts with chocolate will be a great one. Actually, today was la fete de jeunesse, which is Cameroon's National Youth Day so we all went downtown to watch them parade around. It was quite amusing despite the heat. One man came up to our little group, tapped me on the shoulder and asked for a picture with me. Sure why not?! Then when we're all heading back to catch a cab we get pulled into this ring of people. So there's about 7 white college students standing in the middle of a circle of Africans who are singing a song that tells us to dance for Jesus. We attempted some moves but overall just clapped and hoped we could exit quickly. Then as we're leaving they start chanting "Obama" to bid us farewell. Pure craziness!
The only downside to the week thus far has been my second attempt at a run yesterday. I only made twenty minutes. Honestly I thought I might have an anxiety attack. Not only do you have to dodge Cameroonians (who by the way move at the pace of a turtle) but even when you're at the very edge of the road dodge parked cars and taxis. Add to that the hooting and hollering at the little white girl in her nikes makes for quite a stressful experience. I am never afraid of getting hurt here. It's always the farthest thing from my mind because they all are just wanting to have a conversation, but really people I just wanted to exercise!
I have to go change to leave for our first African dance class. I've met a few of the dancers and they pretty much resemble Bob Marley so it should be an interesting night. Cheers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hahah oh morgan, the thought of you trying to teach people about condoms using a banana cracks me up. you're like the teacher in "never been kissed" I hope your dance class is amazing.. could you teach me some moves? hope you get a good run in sometime soon, you have such discipline my dear!
ReplyDeleteP.s - your mom rocks
ReplyDelete